• Over the weekend,s reports have really been slowly coming in on the status of several players so make sure to check out the spreadsheet at the end.
• Chase Anderson was placed on the DL because he has been pitching
horribly with an inflamed tricep. This DL trip totally looks to be a phantom DL trip.
Even with the three-run home run he belted in the first inning of Saturday’s 9-4 win over the Reds, Brantley’s slugging percentage has been noticeably down from a year ago, and he has only six home runs on the season. It is possible that the back issue is at least partially to blame for the power reduction, but Francona said the outfielder is not one for excuses.
“I don’t want [to talk about his back], because I don’t think he wants to get into it,” Francona said. “But he goes out there every day regardless of how he’s feeling, and he finds a way to compete. Whatever percent he’s at, he gives you every bit of that. If his slugging is down, I get it, but I also see what he does, and I know when there’s a runner in scoring position, we like when he’s up.”
The 31-year-old had surgery on both sides of his core last offseason, one in Decem-ber and one in March. He hurried back from the second one, which he underwent on March 9, returning April 19.
“I think a lot of this is stemming from injuries I had early in the year, just not being strong in my core,” Span said. “I had two surgeries in three months and came back pretty soon, so I think a lot of that is stemming from that. Changing my posture, lot of compensating. So we’ve been working a lot on trying to correct things that we didn’t get a chance to do before I came back from spring training surgery.”
• Michael Cuddyer will be dealing with a bad knee for the rest of the season.
Cuddyer figures he'll be dealing with his knee the rest of the way. Hasn't improved.
— Marc Carig (@MarcCarig) July 17, 2015
• Matt Albers’ average fastball velocity is down 1 mph from earlier this year which was down 2 mph from the previous season.
• Scott Feldman’s velocity is fine
• Martin Perez’s velocity is up to his 2013 levels before he needed TJS.
• Chad Qualls’ velocity is the same as earlier in the season, but down from 2014.
Players on the DL in 2015
The Red players have had updates since the last report. Click on the “Date” for a link to go to the latest article on the player.
Jeff, one of the authors of the fantasy baseball guide,The Process, writes for RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, Rotowire, Baseball America, and BaseballHQ. He has been nominated for two SABR Analytics Research Award for Contemporary Analysis and won it in 2013 in tandem with Bill Petti. He has won three FSWA Awards including on for his MASH series. In his first two seasons in Tout Wars, he's won the H2H league and mixed auction league. Follow him on Twitter @jeffwzimmerman.