This past week’s Sunday night’s FAAB bidding was fairly calm after FAAB-ageddon. Even with else action, I find some of the drops interesting.
Note: Normally, I focus on players dropped in 10 or more leagues of the 38 but the five players dropped in nine leagues are the most interesting so I included them.
- Wilmer Flores (27): Fractured foot means bye-bye.
- Andrelton Simmons (20): I held onto Simmons utilizing the following news. Rostering him with limited roster space comes down to how many other injured players are on the team.
Andrelton Simmons met with a foot specialist. He will not need surgery. He said it’ll be a week or two until the swelling in his ankle subsides. Then he’ll have a better idea of the timeline.
— J.P. Hoornstra (@jphoornstra) May 22, 2019
- Welington Castillo (16): Concussion.
- Ryon Healy (15): Injured wrist and may not play once he returns with Kyle Seager off the IL.
- Brandon Nimmo (14): Bulging disc and whiplash. Great.
- Francisco Cervelli (14): A concussion and his GM had a few things to say about concussions.
- Collin McHugh (11): For the last few owners holding out hope for a return to the rotation, a sore elbow killed their mojo.
- Aledmys Diaz (10): This is no country for a role player with a pulled hamstring.
- Chris Davis (10): Off to IL with an inflamed hip.
- Ender Inciarte (9): Owners have “Let him go” with no positive news on his recovery.
- Jed Lowrie (9): Still farting around on the IL.
- Mac Williamson (24): He hit just .118/.211/.196 in 57 PA.
- Cole Irvin (23): The righty with an 88-mph fastball got demoted? No way.
- Carlos Gonzalez (20): Released.
- Michael Wacha (22): An ERA over 5.00 with matching ERA estimators means he’s off to the bullpen.
- Chris Martin (20): He was in line for Saves in Texas but over his last four appearances he has a 12.37 ERA with just 2.3 K/9/. He’s no longer in the mix for Saves.
- Kendrys Morales (20): His talent is marginal and has only started in four of the last seven games.
- Shaun Anderson (20): Owners of Anderson’s two-step were rewarded with 5.40 ERA, 4 K’s, and a 1.80 WHIP in 10 innings of work.
- Merrill Kelly (16): The Padres lit him up like a Christmas tree in his start last week for 5 HIts, 4 Walks, 0 Strikeouts, and 4 runs in 1.2 innings of work.
- Scott Barlow (16): He saved a game before last week’s FAAB run. Everyone jumped in hoping for more Saves but none came.
- Erick Fedde (14): A two-start week against the Marlins and Mets went as expected. A 0.90 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, and 5 K’s in 10 IP. His owners weren’t willing to push their luck another week.
- Mike Leake (14): Another two-starter arm who posted an 8 K’s, a 9.26 ERA, and 1.54 WHIP in 11.2 IP.
- Freddy Peralta (13): The Brewers moved him and his 5.97 ERA to the bullpen.
- Jeremy Hellickson (13): Why do owners go through these two-step guttings? 9.00 ERA, 2.13 WHIP, and 4 K’s in 8 IP.
- Brandon Workman (12): A Sunday Save on the day of FAAB means some bought-in but now they don’t.
- Jefry Rodriguez (12); A 7.29 ERA and a 4.71 BB/9 over his last four starts
- John Hicks (11): He’s hitting like a catcher (.228/.273/.370) and his owners must expect more.
- Brett Anderson (10): A respectable two-start week with a 1.54 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and 5 K’s in 11.2 innings.
- Forrest Whitley (10): 12.21 ERA, 5.6 BB/9, and 3.3 HR/9 in AAA.
- Ian Kennedy (10): He’s the closer but with two Saves on the season.
- Starlin Castro (10): Horrible slash line (.227/.269/.283) but underperforming his xwOBA by 56 points making him the 9th biggest underperformer in the league.
- Steve Wilkerson (10): Owners were taking advantage of his weekend series at Colorado.
- Cole Tucker (9): In 100 PA he’s hitting .160/.202/.266 and 0 SB. In 76 PA Kevin Newman is hitting .338/.408/.456. It’s now a hard choice.
- Eric Sogard (9): While Sogard is being released in response to Cavan Biggio’s promotion, several Blue Jays are sitting more (e.g. Justin Smoak) and owners need to keep up on this situation.
- Howie Kendrick (9): Started in only three of the last nine games.
- Melky Cabrera (9): Bryan Reynolds production (.320/.369/.573) has forced Cabrera to the bench.
|Name||Drops (of 38)|
Jeff, one of the authors of the fantasy baseball guide,The Process, writes for RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, Rotowire, Baseball America, and BaseballHQ. He has been nominated for two SABR Analytics Research Award for Contemporary Analysis and won it in 2013 in tandem with Bill Petti. He has won three FSWA Awards including on for his MASH series. In his first two seasons in Tout Wars, he's won the H2H league and mixed auction league. Follow him on Twitter @jeffwzimmerman.