The heck with the intro, I’ll go straight to the players being dropped in six to nine NFBC Main Event (15-team, 23-man rosters) leagues.
- Jesse Winker (7): Back injury has him on the IL.
- Domingo Santana (7): On IL with an inflamed elbow.
- Scott Oberg (6): Out for the season.
- Mitch Haniger (6): Another setback means he’ll likely not play in 2019.
- Nomar Mazara (6): He can’t help a fantasy teams from the IL
- Ian Happ (9): He’s just not playing and has started in just four of the last nine games.
- Ty France (9): While he destroyed AAA (1.247 OPS), he’s struggled in his first extended major job (.601 OPS). If an owner has a bench spot, I might keep France. He may be a difference-maker once he settles in.
- Cameron Maybin (9): He’s not playing enough to matter by starting just five of the last 12 games.
- Jace Peterson (8): I couldn’t find I spot for him on my AL-only team, so it’s about impossible on a mixed league 15-teamer. A .601 OPS in Baltimore with no prospect pedigree doesn’t cut it.
- Jalen Beeks (8): After performing great in the season’s first half (2.79 ERA), he’s just blown up in the second half (7.75 ERA). His issues have been more homers (0.4 to 2.4 HR/9) and walks (3.2 to 4.0 BB/9) allowed. His season-long ERA (4.55) is almost identical to his FIP (4.57) and SIERA (4.67).
- Adam Jones (8): He’s only started in five of the last 14 games. Sort of useless.
- Brandon Drury (8): Limited talent who has started in only five of the last eight games.
- Matt Albers (8): After collected three Saves in early August, he has not gotten one in two weeks. But neither has Josh Hader.
- Matt Beaty (8): Only started in two of the last eight. See a pattern?
- Luke Jackson (8): Mark Melancon is now Atlanta’s closer.
- Devin Smeltzer (7): He picked up a random Save a couple of weeks back but he’s not even close to getting Saves in the Twins bullpen.
- Welington Castillo (7): He’s just not been good (.638), even at catcher.
- Jake Rogers (7): If Castillo is being cut at catcher, Rogers (.532 OPS) stands no chance.
- Trent Grisham (7): He started in one of the last six games.
- Greg Allen (6): He was playing part-time when Mercado was in Francona’s dog house, but cooler minds prevailed. Allen is back where he belongs as a 4th outfielder.
- Corban Joseph (6): While he tore up AAA (1.006), he struggled in the majors with a .561 OPS.
|Name||Dropped (38 Leagues)|
Jeff, one of the authors of the fantasy baseball guide,The Process, writes for RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, Rotowire, Baseball America, and BaseballHQ. He has been nominated for two SABR Analytics Research Award for Contemporary Analysis and won it in 2013 in tandem with Bill Petti. He has won three FSWA Awards including on for his MASH series. In his first two seasons in Tout Wars, he's won the H2H league and mixed auction league. Follow him on Twitter @jeffwzimmerman.