- While it wasn’t obvious since the Angels hadn’t face a lefty starter in eight games, the team has platoon lineups.
- Several injuries (Trout, Ohtani, Rengifo) has moved some bench players to the starting lineup.
- The same steady lineup with Carlos Correa starting to work himself back at shortstop.
- Kyle Tucker seems to be the fourth outfielder giving guys a day off. He has started four of the last five games.
- Ramón Laureano has only started four of the last six games. Since coming off the IL in early September he’s hitting .321/.394/.500.
- Seth Brown (vs RHP) and Chad Pinder (vs LHP) are in a left-field platoon.
- Sean Murphy (1.242 OPS) has started six of the last nine games at catcher.
- Besides the top four bats (Bichette, Biggio, Grichuck, Guerrero), the lineup is a mess. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. has only started two of four games since returning at DH only.
- Teoscar Hernández has started five straight games in the outfield.
- The infield is a mess with Jason Kipnis and Jose Ramirez out with injuries. Right now, it looks like Yu Chang (.632 OPS) will be playing third and Mike Freeman (.773 OPS) will be the second baseman.
- Greg Allen and Jordan Luplow remain in a left-field platoon.
- Another team, another mess for playing time. The only players who have started eight of the last ten games: Jonathan Villar, Hanser Alberto, Anthony Santander, and Trey Mancini.
- Ronald Guzmán and Danny Santana are splitting time at first base.
- Jose Trevino has started six of the last seven games at catcher while hitting .275/.292/.418 so far in September. A nice deep catcher option for 2020.
- Rougned Odor and Nick Solak are finding ways to play every day.
- A season-long nightmare to analyze.
- Austin Meadows, Tommy Pham, Willy Adames, and Travis d’Arnaud remain the only rosterable regulars.
- With Mookie Betts out, the lineup is finally in some turmoil.
- Mitch Moreland has taken over the fulltime first base job while starting eight straight.
- Marco Hernandez has started six of the last seven games while hitting a .487 OPS in the second half.
- Bubba Starling (.560 OPS) has started four straight games.
- Ryan O’Hearn (.623 OPS) and Cheslor Cuthbert (.671 OPS) are in a first base platoon.
- Christin Stewart (.732 OPS) has started five of the last six games while Dawel Lugo (.638 OPS) has started 23 of the 24 games.
- Willi Castro (.551) has taken over the shortstop job while starting in six straight.
- Luis Arraez has started 13 straight games while hitting .369/.432/.464 over the last month.
- Since being called up September 1st, Willians Astudillo is hitting .243/.317/.270 while starting 10 times.
- For some reason Daniel Palka continues to get starts while posting a .158 OPS in 71 plate appearances.
- I can’t believe Yolmer Sánchez has started 140 of the 152 games so far this season with a .638 OPS
- Giancarlo Stanton is back in the lineup batting fifth and playing left field.
- They are still missing Gary Sánchez and Edwin Encarnación. Gio Urshela is playing third and batting eighth but he’s like the first to head to the bench if either gets healthy.
- Didi Gregorius is hitting in the middle of the lineup but he continues to be just a league-average hitter (.756 OPS in the second half).
Jeff, one of the authors of the fantasy baseball guide,The Process, writes for RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, Rotowire, Baseball America, and BaseballHQ. He has been nominated for two SABR Analytics Research Award for Contemporary Analysis and won it in 2013 in tandem with Bill Petti. He has won three FSWA Awards including on for his MASH series. In his first two seasons in Tout Wars, he's won the H2H league and mixed auction league. Follow him on Twitter @jeffwzimmerman.