Another week into the season and another week of drops. I’ve categorized all the drops in 10 or more NFBC Main Event Leagues and some other names I find interesting.
- Steven Souza Jr. (27)
- Hunter Strickland (21)
- Andrew Heaney (14)
- Mark Trumbo (12): The 33-year-old is out at least two months and his owners are likely dealing with a roster crunch. On one team, I dropped Justin Upton.
- Corey Knebel (11)
- Elias Diaz (11)
- Luis Urias (19): I was a little surprised with all the Urias love coming into the season with his limited skill set. He needs to take a major step forward to be promoted and rosterable.
- Jaime Barria (12)
- Mac Williamson (12): Also dealing with a hand injury.
- Ian Happ (10): Happ can’t hit a fastball so he’s going to have a tough time staying in the majors.
- Zac Rosscup (30): Owners picked him up to get the Win and few strikeouts from the Japan games. Now he’s again useless.
- Mark Melancon (19): Will Smith was designated the closer so Melancon is now expendable.
- Scott Kingery (16): One plate appearance so far this season.
- Lou Trivino (13): Good middle relievers are getting pushed to the side as owners speculate on Saves.
- Tyler Anderson (13): Owners gambled on the Miami start and lost (5 ER in 5 IP).
- Steve Cishek (12); When Pedro Strop returned from injury to close, Cishek’s value diminished.
- Yoshihisa Hirano (11): With Greg Holland getting named the Diamondbacks closer, Hirano’s value dropped. I still think he’s one of the better speculative Save plays.
- Carl Edwards Jr.(10): See Steve Cishek
- Hunter Dozier (10): I’m a little surprised he was in 10 leagues. His fantasy value is about nil.
- Joe Jimenez (10): Shane Greene has the closer’s role for now.
- Lance Lynn (10): The 11.12 ERA is ugly but I see his availability as a buying opportunity. A .409 BABIP and 35% LOB% will lead insane ERA’s. I’d have no problem streaming him in the right matchup.
- Robbie Erlin (10): He loses all fantasy value in the bullpen.
- Trevor Rosenthal (10): Since he’s not closing, he has little value.
- Greg Allen (7): The Indians outfield is horrible and Allen can’t find playing time in it. That says a lot about Allen’s talent.
- Eric Thames (6): He needs to play to have value.
- Merrill Kelly (6): Why exactly the drop? He’s finally starting and owners now have two games this week to evaluate him. At least wait a week before dropping him.
- Ryan Brasier (5): With teams scrambling for saves, I like Brasier’s chances.
Top three pickups (dropped in 10 or more leagues)
|Steven Souza Jr.||27|
|Carl Edwards Jr.||10|
Jeff, one of the authors of the fantasy baseball guide,The Process, writes for RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, Rotowire, Baseball America, and BaseballHQ. He has been nominated for two SABR Analytics Research Award for Contemporary Analysis and won it in 2013 in tandem with Bill Petti. He has won three FSWA Awards including on for his MASH series. In his first two seasons in Tout Wars, he's won the H2H league and mixed auction league. Follow him on Twitter @jeffwzimmerman.