With the July 4th holiday and All-Star game, the waiver wire activity was down in the 38 NFBC Main Event leagues.
- Tyler Skaggs (32): Rest in peace.
- Tommy La Stella (30): He might be back for a couple of weeks in September.
- Jose Alvarado (15): On the IL for a month or two with a strained oblique.
- Jesus Luzardo (13): A lat strain has him out at least another month.
- Ji-Man Choi (13): Being borderline rosterable to begin with, an ankle injury put him on the waiver wire.
- Carlos Carrasco (11): Owners aren’t expecting much from him this season.
- Adbert Alzolay (21): In three major league appearances, he had a decent strikeout rate (9.5 K/9) but struggled with walks (5.6 BB/9) and home runs (3.2 HR/9).
- Austin Voth (18): He struggled with 5.52 ERA in three starts but his ERA estimators are near 4.00. He was demoted to keep up his regular throwing schedule and should rejoin the Nationals rotation after the break.
- Adrian Houser (16): The transition from reliever to has not been smooth with an 8.47 ERA starting but a 1.05 ERA when relieving.
- Michael Lorenzen (14): This drop as less to do with Lorenzen’s struggles than Raisel Iglesias is finally pitching better.
- Matt Adams (13): He’s not starting on a regular basis with Ryan Zimmerman off the IL.
- Shaun Anderson (11): Probably more of a roster crunch move since he’s been OK this season. His four runs in four innings at San Diego might have too much for some owners.
- Trent Thornton (10): He rewarded those who took a chance on his two-step with a 7.27 ERA, 1 Win, 6 K’s, and a 1.73 WHIP in 8 innings of work.
- Freddy Peralta (10): He’s just not starting anymore.
- Cheslor Cuthbert (10): His batting average has dropped under .300 so owners no longer find him useful. He’s going to run into production issues if he doesn’t improve his plate discipline (6.6 K/BB).
Jeff, one of the authors of the fantasy baseball guide,The Process, writes for RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, Rotowire, Baseball America, and BaseballHQ. He has been nominated for two SABR Analytics Research Award for Contemporary Analysis and won it in 2013 in tandem with Bill Petti. He has won three FSWA Awards including on for his MASH series. In his first two seasons in Tout Wars, he's won the H2H league and mixed auction league. Follow him on Twitter @jeffwzimmerman.