Sadly for all of you, the Roto Riteup is all mine until Sunday.
On today’s agenda:
1. Jaff Dacker gets the call
2. Marco Scutaro screwed up his finger
3. Suspensions to be handed down today
4. Fun with arbitrary endpoints
Jaff Dacker gets the call
Jaff “don’t call me Jeff” Dacker has been called up to the big leagues by the Padres, where the former top prospect will be asked to fill in for Cameron Maybin. Dacker crushed the ball in the very-low minors after being drafted, but he’s had a huge problem posting suitable batting averages since the end of 2009. Dacker may not hit for average, but he packs a large punch in a small frame (5-10), and the 23-year-old has no qualms about taking walks. Maybin is expected to miss a couple months time after tearing a knee ligament, and while Dacker is being recalled, odds are guys like Alexi Amarista and Chris Denorfia will receive a bulk of Maybin’s now vacant playing time.
Marco Scutaro screwed up his finger
Scutaro injured his finger so badly that he is not able to straighten it out, but no matter, the Giants are keeping him on the active roster. Scutaro is hoping to play in a few days if the pain subsides, but this author is betting on the scrappy second baseman taking a trip to the DL. Scutaro has been fantastic this year, hitting .332 with a league average walk rate. Scutaro’s skillset revolves around making contact, and while that would not be hampered by a screwy digit, making contact with any sort of authority feels like it would be quite difficult.
Suspensions to be handed down today
The MLB has yet to issue any suspensions following Tuesday’s brawl between the Diamondbacks and Dodgers, but the league has said it will announce everything today. Best guess is that Ian Kennedy and Juan Uribe both miss a few games, though there’s probably not a fantasy owner in the world truly upset by it.
Fun with arbitrary endpoints
• Mark Buehrle, last 6 starts: 39 IP, 26 K, 12 BB, 1 HR, 3.00 ERA
• Lorenzo Cain, last 23 G: .228/.287/.342, 1 HR, 2 SB, .279 BABIP
• Wade Davis, last 4 starts: 23 IP, 25 K, 6 BB, 3 HR, 4.30 ERA
• Victor Martinez, last 28 games: .275/.304/.422, 4 HR, .264 BABIP
• Martin Prado, last 40 games: .270/.315/.342, .301 BABIP