- The lineup was getting into a routine until Andrelton Simmons busted up his ankle and headed to the IL. Some of the regulars moved around with Lis Rengifo taking over the second base duties and hitting at the bottom of the lineup.
- Albert Pujols has started three of the last six games at first base with Jared Walsh the other three times. Pujols may already be wearing down.
- A once steady lineup has seen some changes with George Springer dealing with a bad back and Jose Altuve out with a strained hamstring. Aledmys Diaz (.279/.313/.512) and Jake Marisnick (.284/.344/.545) have performed decently in their absence.
- It seems that Tyler White (.643 OPS) was sitting more with Josh Reddick (.845 OPS) being the DH until Springer got hurt. When Springer returns, White will likely head back to the bench.
- The Athletics rarely use the same lineup and that’s even more obvious with Khris Davis deciding if he’s hurt or not.
- Jurickson Profar (.333/.440/.667) and Ramon Laureano (.316/.350/.474) have both started heating up over the past week.
- Chad Pinder, Stephen Piscotty, and Robbie Grossman are sharing time in the two outfield corners.
- Jonathan Davis and his .207 OPS has started four straight games in center field.
- Jordan Luplow played seven straight games but has sat against the last three right starters. He’s struggled against righties (.404 OPS in 2019, career .567 OPS) compared to crushing lefties (1.197 OPS in 2019, career .862 OPS). He was splitting time with Carlos Gonzalez (released). In the first game without CarGo, Mike Freeman (career .496 OPS in 128 PA) played.
- Oscar Mercado (.238/.333/.381) has played in five straight games.
- In 22 PA since returning from the minors, Mallex Smith has a .561 OPS and has not attempted a stolen base.
- In the last four games, they’ve had three different third basemen, Dylan Moore, Tim Beckham, and Ryon Healy.
- They’ve been rolling at the same seven non-catchers for a couple of weeks.
- Hanser Alberto is leading off against lefties and his hitting .426/.426/.617 against them this season. Previously, Jonathan Villar had the spot but he’s struggled over the past month (.220/.250/.352).
- It’s organized chaos with players heading to the IL and being promoted. With the current roster, they’ve played one game and Joey Gallo sat. There are just not enough spots to go around.
- In 46 PA since coming off the IL, Ronald Guzman is hitting .195/.283/.390.
- Ji-Man Choi is playing first baseball fulltime while Yandy Daiz deals with a hand contusion.
- As it has been all year, it’s generally the same players in each game but in a different order.
- Kevin Kiermaier has heated up over the past week hitting .385/.429/.923
- Stays the same every night with the exception of Mitch Moreland sitting against lefties when Steve Pearce plays.
- With the addition of Nicky Lopez (batting second), the lineup is set with Chris Owings (finally) sitting.
- Billy Hamilton (.588 OPS) and Ryan O’Hearn (.622) are two struggling bats who could see less playing time going forward.
Of the Tigers with at least 50 PA, Ronny Rodriguez has the highest OPS at .890.
The next two are Gordon Beckham (.834 OPS) and Brandon Dixon (.812 OPS).
This team is an offensive … pic.twitter.com/qudm0iqoRL
— Jeff Zimmerman (@jeffwzimmerman) May 23, 2019
- Dawel Lugo (.525 OPS) has started five of the last six games at third base.
- While playing fulltime since coming off the IL, Josh Harrison has posted a .500 OPS since returning. It’s an improvement over the .445 OPS before the injury.
- Christin Stewart has started 11 of the last 13 games, mainly as the left fielder.
- For weeks, the lineup was set but since Miguel Sano returned, it’s a mess. There are just one too many bats to go around and a couple of bats have to sit every night. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason yet as everyone is just getting a day off.
- Luis Arraez (1.560 OPS) has started three straight games at second or third base. Historically, he’s shown little power even in the minors this season (.055 ISO in AA and .000 ISO is AAA).
- With the return of Eloy Jimenez, the lineup looks to have quickly stabilized. Jimenez (.703 OPS) replaces Ryan Cordell (.736 OPS) with Leury Garcia (.666 OPS) in centerfield and Charlie Tilson (.732 OPS) in left field.
- Leury Garcia (batting leadoff still) has started at second and short this season and could take over for Yolmer Sanchez at second base (three games).
- Yonder Alonso is struggling (.606 OPS) but the difference between his wOBA and xwOBA is the league’s fifth largest difference.
Jeff, one of the authors of the fantasy baseball guide,The Process, writes for RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, Rotowire, Baseball America, and BaseballHQ. He has been nominated for two SABR Analytics Research Award for Contemporary Analysis and won it in 2013 in tandem with Bill Petti. He has won three FSWA Awards including on for his MASH series. In his first two seasons in Tout Wars, he's won the H2H league and mixed auction league. Follow him on Twitter @jeffwzimmerman.